Your Guide to Reading Between the Tines

Look, Ma! I’m Learning Something!

Hopefully, I’ll do a real post later today.  I have several in the queue waiting to get written: peanut butter updates, the scoop on carrageenan, an interview, and another surprise post that I just haven’t managed to get to.  Thar’s doggies to civilize ’round these parts, food to cook, errands to run, birthdays to celebrate, work to do, and homework to be done.  Ergo, blogging is sparse.

Which is why, in the meantime, I’m letting you have a gander at the homework I just finished for the Photoshop class I’m taking.

So here’s a task for all my faithful readers.  Can you, in the comments below, identify AT LEAST four plants pictured here (in whole or in part) that can serve as food sources in dry climates?  DJ Kimmus is disqualified from this game, as she has an unfair advantage, but everyone else, give it a shot! (I’ll let you play once everyone else has had a fair shot, Miz Kim.  I promise.)

11 comments

11 Comments so far

1. Becca January 23rd, 2009 1:45 pm

I got nothing! If lost in the desert I’d probably try to gnaw on a few of those succulents. And I’d stay away from the butterfly as monarchs are poisonous.

2. Michelle @ What Does Your Body Good? January 23rd, 2009 2:06 pm

I know nothing about plants. But I do know photoshop inside and out because of my day job. Good luck with your class and I’m always here to answer a PS question :-)

3. Andrea Klein January 23rd, 2009 9:11 pm

I love your “graphic” display of talent in your homework assignment. I so miss layout and design from my past writing jobs. Good work!

4. Mangochild January 24th, 2009 3:21 am

I’m in the dark, I admit it! But I will say that your work is lovely, particularly the one with the yellow plants next to the blue sky. One of my fav sights.

5. Mangochild January 24th, 2009 3:22 am

Reposting from your last entry, as I wanted to be sure you saw it – I have awarded you something on my blog, please take a look :-)

6. Laurel January 25th, 2009 5:01 pm

Oh, pppppppppth. No one is even going to give this a whirl?

Kim, you’re in. Can you see the pics well enough to do it? ;)

7. Laurel January 25th, 2009 5:01 pm

And thanks to everyone for the positive feedback! :)

I am having loads of fun with the class, actually. Huzzah!

8. Sizz January 26th, 2009 10:24 am

That’d be saguaro cacti, teddy bear cholla, and blue agave….I think. Maybe.

9. Laurel January 26th, 2009 12:56 pm

What ho! Sizz swoops in for a swing at plant identification–a pretty masterful one, at that. Indeed, we have saguaro (which bears bright red fruits in summer, delicious for eating), the cholla (producing buds rich in calcium and potassium, supposedly tasting of artichoke and asparagus), and the agave (which offers my beloved agave nectar, as well the smoky satisfaction of its whole, roasted heart).

And now…the fourth, anyone? This one is trickier, as only its flowers are visible. I await with bated breath.

10. Kimmus February 17th, 2009 8:35 pm

Wow…how did I miss this post? Well, I’m pretty sure the red flowers are that of an aloe…although I don’t know what kind. And then it’s very hard to tell what that on the second row, left might be because it’s so small. I’m guessing maybe a Tecoma Stans , Yellow Bells? Then I think there is Arizona Juniper too…although the higher elevation plants always baffle me. I’m curious now…please enlighten me :)

11. Laurel February 18th, 2009 8:49 am

I was thinking of the aloe. :) The Yellow Bells are also a good answer, but the higher elevation plants are a mystery to me as well.

Yay to Kim and Sizz!