Your Guide to Reading Between the Tines

Cookies and Goodies…

I have been popping into the kitchen almost daily to make up some wonderful concoctions for Christmas. So far, I have raspberry bars, oatmeal butter cookies, raw whole foods fudge, chocolate covered peanut butter balls, triple ginger gingersnaps, dark chocolate coconut bark sprinkled with sea salt, spiced candied nuts, caramel corn, and now turtles with homemade caramel. This picture was taken a couple days ago, which means it was after the caramel corn and oatmeal cookies were gifted away and before the turtles and coconut bark had been made. It’s been an entertaining affair, as only about half of those have involved recipes.

Our first Christmas guest arrives tomorrow, so I will start laying them out to sample. I’ll let you know what the biggest hits are and hopefully give some directions here for you to make some of the highlights in your kitchens! Speaking of which, I still have dreams of a wonderful shortbread. Does anyone have a recipe?

Hungrily,

L

7 comments

7 Comments so far

1. Aaron Wilson December 19th, 2009 11:08 am

Wow. You really have a well presented plate of pastries. They each look like little chocolate and fruit laden oases of bliss.

2. Laurel December 20th, 2009 12:09 pm

Thanks, Aaron! That’s snow in the top corner, if you can believe it…and I know YOU can.

I have been really happy with the goodies thus far. My favorite is one not shown here–I made turtles on Friday night, including making the caramel from scratch. They are delightful. What really makes them is a sprinkle of sea salt and crushed cacao nibs on top. I want to eat about 6 of them a day for the next ten years. Caramels can be tricky, and I felt like this was really nice…it also happened to be vegan caramel, as I used coconut oil and coconut cream in place of the butter and heavy cream. Decidedly delicious.

3. Jessica December 21st, 2009 9:22 am

Lovely goodies. Too bad it’s a five hour drive to your place. :)

BTW, the January issue of Food & Wine magazine has a recipe for Tahini Shortbread cookies that looks pretty good.

4. Laurel December 21st, 2009 9:04 pm

Well, I would feed you any time you show up. :)

I have pecan shortbread dough chilling in the fridge with plans to cook it up tomorrow. I will let you know how it goes. I subbed half the sugar for agave nectar, so I’m a bit concerned. Keep your fingers crossed.

5. lisa December 27th, 2009 5:25 pm

these look fantastic!

6. kirbysmom December 30th, 2009 4:47 pm

As the official taste-tester, along with the unicyclist, I can attest that yes, the goodies were scrumptious. I don’t even know where to start to describe them. And pick my favorite??? I haven’t a clue. The smells wafting from the kitchen when I came home from work each evening were wonderful. The kitchen was warm & cozy, the fur kids were always underfoot hoping for something to drop, and my favorite baker sometimes had more than a dusting of flour on her cheek. It was a Christmas to remember, just like the ones when I was little – someone in the kitchen baking good things because they loved me and loved baking. Yup, Christmas this year was a little simpler, a lot healthier, and very memorable. I think maybe there is a lesson here. Thank you, sweetie!

7. Youthful One January 28th, 2010 9:04 am

I’d LOVE to read/see/hear the follow-up on these (which were best liked). I’d also love the recipes for most of them. :)